The Republic of Maldives is an Islamic island nation that is located in Southern Asia in the Indian Ocean. While the Maldives is known as a great spot for dreamy beach vacations, you can also come here to do
good. In particular, marine conservation is big in the Maldives. If you would love to spend some time in one of the most beautiful places in the world while doing meaningful charity work, then becoming a volunteer in the Maldives is
certainly for you.
Given that less than 400,000 people live in this entire island nation, you will find many deserted spots, where you can just let the natural abundance of this stunning country sink in. While we are happy to refer you to various
volunteer projects in the area, we also want you to have a lot of fun as a prospective volunteer in the Maldives. As such, this guide is meant to encourage you to explore as much of this beautiful island as you can during your
time as a volunteer in the Maldives as well.
If you are not yet sure about becoming a volunteer in the Maldives, we ask that you read on. The following guide is going to tell you what kinds of voluntary work you can expect to be doing here. In addition, we will tell you how to
best prepare for your time as a volunteer in the Maldives so that you can really enjoy yourself. Keep in mind that you should choose whichever volunteer project matches your interests.
Moreover, you should keep the skills that you bring to the table in mind as well. After all, your chosen volunteer program will be happy to rely on as many of your skills as possible. If you want to find out how much fun becoming
a volunteer in the Maldives is going to be for you, studying this guide will likely have you all excited about doing charity work abroad.
Top 6 fun facts about the Maldives
- While the literacy rate was only 70% in 1978, the current literacy rate of the Maldives is about 98%. This is even more impressive given that the Maldivian people are spread across about 200 different islands, which
makes it even more challenging to provide excellent education to everyone.
- In 2009, the president of the Maldives held a cabinet meeting underwater to alert the world to a very real problem: The rising sea levels could potentially make all of the Maldives disappear in the near future and
some islands have been evacuated for this very reason already!
- The Maldives has been a Muslim nation since the 12th century.
- Alcohol may only be consumed on resort properties. Tourists are not allowed to take their drinks outside of such properties and are expected to honor Muslim traditions during their time on the island. You will also
find that pork is not being served in the Maldives.
- The Maldives is one of the safest travel destinations in the entire world - this is particularly true of local tourists resorts.
- The Maldives is both the smallest country as well as the smallest Muslim nation in the entire world.