Our volunteers work with vulnerable children, women and elderly caretakers to meet the practical physical and emotional needs of these target groups.
Community Development volunteers will work with orphans, elderly caretakers, HIV-positive children, women and other vulnerable groups. Our volunteers will conduct home and school based visits to meet the practical as well as psychosocial needs of our target groups.
Objectives of the program:
• To improve the status and well-being of vulnerable children through support and care in order for them to access essential needs such as education, shelter, clothes, food and medical care. • To provide counseling and recreational activities for vulnerable children.
• To provide home and school visits for HIV-positive
individuals and other vulnerable households in order to monitor
• To raise awareness to vulnerable individuals regarding issues of reproductive health, human rights, life skills, and behavioral changes
• provide social support to HIV-affected households, orphans
and other vulnerable populations.
• provide school and home-based counseling.
• educate in nutrition, hygiene, sanitation, and other life skills.
• prepare workshops and presentations focusing on health,
rights, drug and substance abuse, and other issues affecting the
• conduct administrative work relating to organization development and programming.
• participate in organizing recreational activities, and retreats
• provide training to individuals in basic life skills, reproductive health, early pregnancy and relationship.
• identify ways for fundraising for the programs and to link
the organisation to international partners.
• promote the organization by means of articles, photos and other media sources.
Safari: ACO Africa cooperates with Batudam African Adventure Safaris. Through this partnership our volunteers are offered discount on a safari trip for up to 7-9 days. Volunteers may see animals such as elephants, giraffes, buffalos, zebras, lions, rhinos or gorillas.
Sports: Volunteers will be able to play sports such as football with the children supported by ACO Africa.
Other activities: ACO Africa operates in the vicinity of the Ugandan capital of Kampala. During weekends, volunteers may visit places such as the Lubiri palace, the Uganda Museum, the Victoria Lake or a concert.
Volunteers may expect to sleep together with 2-4 students in one room.
Most of our meals are vegetarian, including banana, cassava, potatoes, rice, and corn, and beans. On occasion, we may also provide fish, beef, and goat meat.