We invite people to discover and help to conservate Altos de Cantillana Nature Reserve through volunteering.
Key duties and responsibilities:
1. Protect cultural and natural resources as well as infrastructure and facilities through the development and execution of operative programs and technical reports.
2. Help park ranger labour such as patrolling, vigilance and supervision of control points.
3. Attend and maintain guesthouse and shelters in the park.
4. Execute and support monitoring program in the field such as supervise the advance of erosion in certain areas, keep control of invasive species, reforestation, develop census of different nature and supervise the recycling program.
5. Support nursery plant maintenance.
6. Develop labours related to construction and maintenance of infrastructure as installation of signage elements or fixing fences.
7. Support activities to link the park with the local community.
8. Coordinate and execute activities related to diffuse the cultural and natural heritage
9. Operate communication equipment and minor machinery.
10. Participate and support the development of basic research studies regarding to conservation of natural heritage, archaeology and social and cultural elements.
11. Support the formulation and execution of projects to rise funding of protected natural areas.
12. Maintenance of common areas and guesthouse (bathrooms, kitchen)
Your typical day may vary from receiving tourists at the reception, work in the nursery plant, maintain trails, patrolling, plant native species or assist environmental education programs.
This is an opportunity to enjoy nature and adventure only 60 minutes from Santiago, Capital Region.
You can discover the majesty of Central Chile’s environment, one of the top-25 biodiversity HOT SPOT on the planet. Starting from the Aculeo Valley by horseback or hiking, you’ll be charmed by the native sclerophyll (“hard-leaved”) shrubs and woods, which have a great wildlife diversity of endemic species, to finally reach the high peaks where an oak forest grows that is one of the last that we can found so far north in the country.
On the other hand, the “Aculeo Valley” gives refuge to important culturales locales and productive manifestations, product of oral transmission of the intangible heritage, like a song to the divine and to the human as well as to the fruit of the hardworking country farmer’s labor.
Be astounded by an astonishing BALCONY over the Santiago valley, the Andes, and the Aculeo valley, among others.
A member of the Corporation will pick you up at the airport and drop you off at the Reserve
There is a house for volunteers at the Main entrance, equipped with kitchen, 5 shared bedrooms and living room.
There is a Cabin 15 km away from the main entrance, equipped with kitchen, 3 shared bedrooms,dry toilet and living room.
There is a Shelter at 1.000 m.a.s.l, 9 Km away from the Main entrance, equipped with kitchen 1 shared bedroom and dry toilet.
We mostly provide non-perishable food due to remoteness conditions and you should be willing to cook your own meals