Volunteer as an english teacher in the rural areas and enjoy the peaceful life here.
Education in Vietnam
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world".
In the suburban and the rural area in Vietnam, the learning outcomes of Vietnamese children show little progress. Sometimes, they do not have any motivation to acquire knowledge.
After graduating from high school, almost all of the students who do not pass the exam are primarily trades people or street vendors, selling clothing and a myriad of other items in the market places or cooked food on the streets because of the shortage of life skills. The fact is that a number of their parents are rice farmers in the rural areas. Their work also includes caring for draft animals (such as water buffaloes, which are used for pulling carts and plows), fishing, repairing equipments and helping to clear gardens. Therefore, they do not have time for their children in order to give them a good orientation for the future. They would like their children to stay at home to earn money as soon as possible and get married..
In addition, many students graduating from university cannot find a good job although they have good experiences in specialized skills. The reason is that they cannot speak English after learning English for 5 years or even 10 years at school. The vast majority of Vietnamese students are good at grammar without speaking. Communicating with the foreigners is the barrier.
To change their mind and help them becoming global citizens, we join hands to create an English speaking environment for all people in the suburban parts of Hanoi and provinces around with free and low-cost classes. Attending these programs, students have good opportunities to exchange the culture, learn English and new life skills.
What you will gain from this project
· A memorable and satisfying experience by teaching Vietnamese children.
· Enhancement of your teaching skills.
· An opportunity to see rural Viet Nam closely and be aware of the problems faced and the life of the people living there.
· An opportunity to spend time in Viet Nam and have knowledge about the culture, language and traditions.
Why We Need You
· Join your hands to break the fear of learning English.
· Bring a bright future to all people especially children from the rural areas in Hanoi.
· Given the condition of our rural elementary schools, volunteers will be providing valuable support to overburdened teachers.
· The volunteers’ objective should not be to teach the intricacies of grammar; this is something the children can get from their textbook. The volunteer’s objective should be to motivate the children to learn English. As educators are aware, students can best be engaged when lessons are organized, relevant, challenging, interesting, interactive, and also when the instructor is enthusiastic, empathic, and encouraging.
Working time: Maximum of 20 working hours/ week. During the day, you will have a lot of free time; therefore, you can travel, explore and meet with friends in Hanoi or surrounding areas. Sometimes, we also schedule day trips or picnics that volunteers, staff and students can enjoy together. If you have any plans to travel somewhere else, we will be happy to help you arrange your trip.
There is a gym and yoga club which is 500m far from us. Our volunteers really enjoy it. There is a small stadium near by here and you can play football/volleyball/badminton or you can join in a Vietnamese sport-shuttle cock-with local people. They are always willing to welcome you. This is the way to make friend and learn more about Vietnamese culture. Beside that, we often organize some trips/picnics for you and our to climb mountain or discover places in Vietnam.
It's a house which has 3 floors with 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 1 kitchen. Our office and dinning room is on the first floor. We have room for couples as well.
We provide 2 meals which was cooked by Vietnamese style. Bread, noodle and egg are always available and you can self-service for breakfast. If you are vegetarian, just let us know and we will provide you vegetarian food.