Feed, monitor and observe animals, Farming activities, maintaining the sanctuary.
You will work in a natural reserve, animal and rescue centre located close to the Costa Rican pacific coast. The reserve has 400 hectares of land and it is only 20km from the city Parrita.
This centre was opened because many hectares of land were destroyed a number of years ago which drove many different types of animals out of there natural habitat. This then forced the people to create the rescue center with many animals found wounded and starved to take care of, nuture back to health and keep in a safe environment.
The centres aim is to keep any animal no longer than 6 months before it is released back into the wild. During the recovery period the animals are given veterinary care and rested. 30% of the animals are physically ready to be realeased between 1 and 3 months, these animals are still monitered when released and most come back until they get totaly accustomed to the wild again. During the rehabilitation proccess volunteers accompany the animals on there way to an independant life, this is by helping them with hunting and also natural insincts such as protecting themselves and fleeing from all predators.
There is an
80% success rate in releasing animals back into the wild, for the other 20% that
would not be able to survive out in the wild, they are taken to safe and secure
areas of the grounds. The conservation center continues to work to make sure that
everything is done to help animals back into the wild.
The centre is financed by an eco friendly hotel which was build on the centres grounds and attracts a lot of visitors.
You will be typically working with other volunteers in this job as well as workers at the project, creating a fun environment. During the time at the project you will have many different tasks which will depend on which section you are stationed at.
On a typical day you will be preparing food for the animals, maintaining the grounds such as cleaning trails which are used by staff, clean and maintain the animal cages, go on rounds around the centre spotting new wildlife and giving them fresh fruit. Other day to day activities include fertalizing soil, cleaning the butterfly lab, collect eggs, water plants, clean feeding areas and provide fresh water to animals.
There are also activities which you will be involved less frequently such as visiting different plantations and harvest bananas, papayas, watermelon, cantaloupes and other fruits, help with the monthly vet-check and constantly monitor all animals, to be able to notice any change in behavior.
In your spare time there are many different activities to choose from such as hiking the nearby mountain trails, horseback riding and much more, you are also close to the town Parrita where you can go to bars and socialise.
In order for the volunteers to feel really comfortable during their time in Costa Rica, the project leaders offer a variety of activities.
Every Wednesday afternoon, volunteers and project leaders take a trip to the beach town Jacó, Sundays they drive to the beach at Manuel Antonio, where volunteers have the chance to experience Costa Rica’s “pura vida”, swim in the ocean and get a nice tan. If the leaders are very pleased with the group, they arrange a shuttle on Friday nights so that the volunteers can experience Jacó’s nightlife.
Yes you will be picked up from the airport and taken to your overnight stay.
Accomodation is provided, you will be living on the centre in a volunteer house, this is in shared dorms with shared bedrooms and bathrooms, it also includes a washing service for clothing and bedding.
Full Board is provided (3 meals per day)