Animal Welfare and Veterinary Medicine
- Volunteer with veterinary doctors and animal rescuers on this east African paradise and help with the welfare of the lives of domestic animals, livestock and even the occasional monkey and bird.
- Experience a unique project on the spice island of Zanzibar assisting with animal care, veterinary medicine treatment, community upliftment and education on animal husbandry.
- Best for those studying veterinary medicine, tech and nursing students qualified veterinary professionals that would like to experience the challenges of animal rescue and treatment in Africa.
- Educate the community on animal rights and help tackle the stray animal population- sterilization is key here. Don’t worry if you have no training or experience, you will be shown how to assist
- Visit turtle sanctuaries, see endangered Red Colobus Monkeys at Jozani National Park, visit Prison island, explore stone town and take in the magnificent beaches in your free time in this paradise
About the program
Experience a project like no other on the island of Zanzibar assisting with animal care, veterinary medicine treatment, community upliftment and education
This project was started by a devoted animal lover, Anna, more than 10 years ago, after witnessing the mistreatment of working donkeys. Over time it has evolved to not only a sanctuary for donkeys and other animals, but also animal rescue and veterinary treatment too and is one of few that give ...
The work of animal welfare and veterinary medicine is very dependent on the animals that need treatment and of course emergencies situations so very hard to predict
The normal schedule is Monday to Friday you will be starting around 8.30am at the clinic after breakfast. You will then break for lunch ...
Stone Town is about ½ an hour’s drive away and there are many daladalas (local buses) that can transport you there at a very reasonable fee. Stone Town has an amazing cultural heritage so there are lots of shops, markets, and tours to experience but don’t get lost in the many winding alleyways. ..
What's NOT included?
Details on arrival
Starting days are Sundays and departure days are Saturdays. This project runs throughout the year. Please book early for the popular months of June, July and August
Meet your host
Verified by Volunteer World
About the project
43 reviews · 4.8
You might also be interested in
Animal Shelter in Tanzania
Mission Trips to Africa
Internships in Tanzania
High School Volunteering
Best Volunteer Programs
Global Volunteer Opportunities
Animals in Africa
Under 18s Volunteering
Volunteer Trips for College Students
50 Plus Volunteering