Island Teaching & School Development
- This Island lies in the outer regions of the Mamanuca Islands, approximately 1 hour fast ferry from the mainland.
- You’ll have full access to and will take part in one of the few traditional Fijian island villages left in this region.
- Help staff at a local school, situated on a remote island, with stunning views all around
- Teach from kindergarten to grade 6, teaching English, or even maths, geography and sports
- Experience in depth the authentic Fijian Island way of living.
About the program
A truly unique, raw and exclusive local Fijian experience! This Island lies in the outer regions of the Mamanuca Islands, approximately 1 hour fast ferry from mainland.Teaching in Fiji – Background Information
This is an incredible placement where you can experience in depth the authentic Fijian Island way of living. After presentation of your offering (Kava ceremony) you will be welcomed into the community to live as an honored guest.
This island ...
As you will be living within the school compound which is literally on the beach on a small island setting with an approx 3km perimeter coastline, your life will be centered around the school activities and daily rituals associated.
Wake-up with roosters crowing at 5am. Help in early morning chores ...
You are located on a proper Fijian remote island in the manamunca island range. Island hopping to local tourist resort islands is the most likely past time for volunteers in this region. This is truly a unique placement as foreigners are not allowed to visit the island without express consent from ...
What's NOT included?
Details on arrival
* Please be aware, this project only runs in school term times. The dates for 2023 are as follows:
Term 1: 6th February – 5th May
Term 2: 22nd May – 25th August
Term 3: 11th September – 8th December
Included in the cost is an arrival airport transfer from Nadi airport to the marina if heading to the islands directly. In most cases however, you’ll stay with a home stay in Nadi or Lautoka for 1 or 2 nights before making your way to the island.
We can arrange return transfers to/from the marina for US$50 if booked in advance. Just ask while making the booking. Otherwise you can take a bus or a tax will cost approx US$10-15 from Nadi.
There are 2 ferry trips to/from the island daily departing from Port Denerau each day;
- Departing Ferrys – 9:15am and 3:00pm
- Returning Ferrys – 10:15am and 4:00pm
As a volunteer through IVI, you will obtain a large subsidy on the cost of the Ferrys. The IVI country manager will assist you in the necessary paperwork…
Meet your organization
Non-profit - founded in 1989
Verified by Volunteer World