Whale Shark Conservation & Diving
Complete your reservation as soon as possible. This project fills up quickly and is already booked on certain dates.
- Dive into thrilling encounters with whale sharks, combat invasive lionfish, and contribute to marine conservation efforts
- Volunteer on a remote private Caribbean island, located on the magnificent Belize Barrier Reef
- Protect the reef ecosystem through hands-on participation in marine conservation projects, gaining insights into coral reefs and marine life
- Enhance your diving skills or learn to dive while making a difference, regardless of your experience level
- Embark on an exciting adventure, make international friends, and have a blast while supporting a cause you're passionate about
About the program
Feel the thrill of swimming with a whale shark, the excitement of spearing the invasive lionfish, and the satisfaction in helping protect coral reefs. 🐋
What is Reef Conservation International?
Reef Conservation International (ReefCI) volunteer trips are a unique opportunity to protect the reef ecosystem by directly participating in our ongoing marine conservation projects! We are located on a small, private, picture-perfect Caribbean island on the ...
A typical week will include the following:
- 5 days/4 nights on private island in the Caribbean off the coast of Belize
- 3 meals daily during dive week
- 12-13 dives per week
- At least one night dive a week
- Training for conservation work and participation in our conservation programs
- Island boat transfers to ...
Our volunteers can choose how much they wish to get involved. Some people want to do as much conservation diving and learning as possible, while others wish to combine the conservation dives with relaxation and fun dives. All dives are voluntary so you can choose to relax in our hammocks with ...
What's NOT included?
Details on arrival
Our conservation dive trips are Monday thru Friday – we depart for our island at 9:30am on Monday from Placencia, Belize and return to the mainland (Placencia) on Friday anywhere from 10am-12pm depending on ocean navigability. Volunteers must schedule arrival and departure in and out of Placencia, Belize either on a Saturday or Sunday.
All volunteers will need to book a hotel or hostel in Placencia upon their arrival and departure on a Saturday or Sunday. Those staying multiple weeks will need weekend accommodations on the mainland Friday night thru Sunday night in between their weeks with us on the island. So with ReefCI you get the best of both worlds. An amazing marine conservation volunteering experience Monday thru Friday on a private Caribbean island on the Belize Barrier Reef and the weekends on the mainland exploring all Belize has to offer. From ancient ruins, jungles and nature expeditions, spelunking, repelling, ziplining, cave and river tubing, to cultural tours; there is something for everyone on the weekends. You are guaranteed a trip of a lifetime in Belize!
Flights to Placencia, Belize
All volunteers will fly into Belize’s only international airport - Belize International Airport (BZE) which is located in Belize City. From there, you will make a connection flight to Placencia, Belize via a small hopper plane. The short hopper flights typically provide around 9 daily flights on the weekends to and from Belize International Airport and Placencia. There are two airline companies that operate hopper flights in Belize. Tropic Air and Maya Island Air –google them to search flight times and prices. All volunteers must schedule arrival and departure on a Saturday or Sunday. We will depart for the island on Monday from Placencia, Belize at 9:30am and return on Friday to Placencia anywhere from 10am-12pm.
Meet your organization
Non-profit - founded in 2006
Verified by Volunteer World
About the project
81 reviews · 4.9
You might also be interested in
Coral Reef Conservation
Under 18s Volunteering
Global Volunteer Opportunities
Best Volunteer Programs
High School Volunteering
Scuba Diving in Belize
Marine Big 5
Volunteer Trips for College Students
50 Plus Volunteering