Whales, Sharks and Penguins Conservation
- Assist the onboard marine biologist on the whale or research boat with monitoring and data capturing of Southern Right and Humpback whales during the annual migration period from June to December
- Help with the rehabilitation of injured, oiled and sick African Penguins and birds brought in for care and recuperation at a state-of-the-art facility. Penguin feeding takes place twice a day.
- Get involved with data capturing and research of various shark species on the boat and while cage diving. This is one of few shark projects whose marine biologist is permitted to tag White sharks.
- Taking part in lectures on shark biology and research, African Penguins, other marine mammal species, company and conservation overview, rocky shores ecology, boat safety and more.
- The area has lots of fun things to do in your free time, visit an ethical predator sanctuary, shopping in Hermanus, visit wine farms, beach horserides, beer tasting or hike the fantastic shorelines.
Especialmente adecuado para
Sobre el programa
Experience not only Whale, Dolphin, Shark and Penguin research and monitoring but also community education, environmental issues, ecology and ecotourism
This multi-faceted Marine Big 5 (Shark, Whale, Penguin, Seal and Dolphin) project is the perfect opportunity to make a difference with marine species conservation both on land and sea, ecotourism, research, and community development. There is a huge variety of work that you will be doing, and this ...
An example of a typical day…
…please remember the daily schedule is affected according to the seasons and the weather. For the days that the weather is not advisable to go out by boat-for example due to high swells- there are still plenty of duties and activities to take part in:
5am to 8am- Time ...
Actividades de tiempo libre
Some of the attractions in the area:
- Wine tasting at local wine farms which the area is famous for… we love the Sir Robert Stanford wine farm but there are plenty in the neighbouring areas to visit
- Visit the Klipgat Cave just outside De Kelders in the Walker Bay Nature Reserve the early home to ...
¿Qué NO está incluido?
Detalles a la llegada
It is an early Monday morning start, so volunteers need to arrive at Cape Town International Airport on the Sunday prior preferably in daylight hours and overnight in Cape Town at a hostel of our choice which is included in the cost.
If volunteers prefer to choose their own alternative accommodation within the Cape Town city vicinity, that will be for their own cost.
An overnight stay in Cape Town on returning on the Monday, can be arranged too. Single or double accommodation can be arranged for a surcharge for Cape Town. Meals are not included in the Cape Town overnight stay.
Volunteers are welcome to arrive a few days before to do sightseeing and acclimatise to the region and we are happy to advise and give tips on what to see and do.
Cuotas del programa
Conoce a tu anfitrión(a)
Verificado por Volunteer World
sobre la organización
55 reseñas · 4.8
También te puede interesar
Certificado de buceo
Gran Tiburón Blanco
Conservación de Delfines
Conservación de Pingüinos
Conservación de Tiburones
Conservación de Ballenas
Mayores de 50 años
Ballenas y delfínes
Animales en África
Viajes misioneros a África
Animales en Sudáfrica
Voluntariado Viajes para estudiantes universitarios
Proyectos en el extranjero
Los mejores programas de voluntariado
Gran tiburón blanco en Sudáfrica