Sport is a great means to unite people and promote physical activity through fun and games.
It’s healthy, a great stress reliever and a wonderful way to balance energy levels.
Organizations focused on introducing exercise programs to local communities in Africa or South America provide sustainable opportunities for those less fortunate.
Important values such as teamwork and dedication are learned through practicing sports and have shown positive effects on disadvantaged communities.
It’s proven that keeping children off the streets and engaging them in something positive improves their personal development.
Children who engage in sports programs are also
proven to be more successful in educational environments as well.
Many children in developing countries simply don’t receive the special care and support they deserve which has led to socio-economic issues like teenage pregnancy, petty crime and substance abuse.
This phenomenon is especially visible in rural areas of Africa or South America.
Luckily, there are organizations in place that are dedicated to community development and providing a safe space for local youth. By introducing sports programs and engaging
the local youth in different opportunities, the programs are successfully
bringing across values such as teamwork, structure, discipline and self-confidence.
As a sports volunteer abroad,
you will be a role model for the children of the local neighborhood.
Besides teaching students the skills to play a certain sport, you’re taking time
to bond with them and helping them to learn for life. This connection will allow you to positively encourage and influence them in their future development.
The main aim of these programs are the following:
- Improve the future prospects of disadvantaged children
- Improve health and social issues by engaging youths in physical activity
- Provide insight into the special importance of a healthy lifestyle, increase confidence, teach teamwork and other skills that will benefit children
- Create intercultural understanding where both local children and international sports volunteers in the programs can learn from each other
- gain practical work experience while teaching children. Continue reading to find out which skills you need as a sports volunteer abroad!